“The rule of law and the prevention of violent extremism:
between policies and practices in European prison and probation systems”
11th September 2019
In ROME – ITALY, Sala Zuccari, Palazzo Giustiniani, via della Dogana Vecchia n. 29
The international conference addresses the problem of violent radicalisation with a special focus on the prison system. Conference programme includes:
- Homage to the Victims of terrorism.
- High Level round table on future challenges on radicalisation in prison,
- Presentation of the main results of 2-years research and in-field implementation of the EU supported project FAIR – Fighting Against Inmates` Radicalisation.
The conference is a milestone in the FAIR project, highlighting important results to discuss the follow up and the future challenges. FAIR during last 2 years addressed and actively included the following target groups through several activities:
- 170 PROFESSIONALS WORKING IN THE PRISON AND PROBATION SYSTEM (penitentiary police, social assistance operators, healthcare operators, volunteers, religious representatives, lawyers) were involved in training courses on prevent/counter violent extremism;
- 50 INMATES, either openly radicalised or vulnerable to extremist recruitment, were involved in our rehabilitation program;
- 162 STAKEHOLDERS, representatives from institutions, policy makers and judiciary systems, were involved in a Feasibility study for a model of alternative to detention centres targeted at the rehabilitation of radicalised inmates.
The conference is under the patronage of Senato della Repubblica and received the kind support of Radicalisation Awareness Network (RAN).
More information on the conference is available in the attached Conference Flyer.
Read more on the conference content:
- Fair results: outcomes and reccomandations in Italy (EN, IT), edited by Luca Guglielminetti, included the speeches by Patrizio Lamonca (Fondazione Nuovo Villaggio del Fanciullo) and Trevor Calafato (University of Malta)
- From Criminals to Terrorists: Critical Issues in Management, Radicalization, and Reform (EN), the speech by Dorin Muresan (International Correction and Prison Association)